Friday, July 6, 2012

Life of a Fantasy Baseball Manager- Through My Eyes


It’s the essence of fantasy baseball, and fantasy sports in general: You want to watch the guy you drafted perform in battle, the guy you “LOVE!” on paper based on his stats actually show up and do something, see if there’s any indications of an injury, see who’s batting around him, see “how the ball comes off his bat,” etc., etc., and nowadays. After all, a lot goes into the process of being a fantasy baseball manager: You are constantly making lineup decisions, pitching decisions, trade discussions, smack talk in the league chat room, it’s the job of both a general manager and a manager, an advanced scout, AND sometimes the owner (changing the franchise’s name, appealing to the league commissioner), etc. So when your guy actually comes up to bat, that’s the only time you’re rewarded for your hard work, when all the build-up leading up to the at-bat/outing is justified. Watching “Live Fantasy Baseball,” a fantasy manager experiences different things. Every player is different and is in there for a different reason. One thing in common: always holding your breath when your guy comes up to the plate, doubly attentive when your pitcher’s in for the half inning. Jubilation when your guy hits a 3-run homer, utter disappointment/grunting/muttering of “this guy sucks” under your breath when your pitcher walks 2 then serves up a 3-run homer. Here’s just a sampling of the “Advanced Scouting” I’ve done on my own players, coupled with a few “biased analysis” and emotional responses.

1.)    Carlos Gonzalez…..Please be at home, please be at home……..(hint, he dominates at home). His swing just LOOKS like he’s gonna drive everything, it epitomizes power, like a freighter carrying (wait for it)…. Cargo.
2.)    J.P. Arencibia…….I’ve never seen anyone hit so many offspeed pitches for home runs. Most hitters sit on fastballs and drive it when they get one. Arencibia, for some reason, sits on the offspeed pitches and drives the hangers. He’s hit 13 home runs this season, I’ve seen most of’em, and it’s always some sort of changeup and curveball.
3.)    Robinson Cano…… one of the few guys I EXPECT to get a hit every time he steps up to the plate. No weaknesses, can go to all fields, and usually has people on base. Can’t complain about the lack of speed, he is elite in all categories.
4.)    David Wright…..great opposite field hitter which contributes to his HIGH average.
5.)    Jason Kubel……the opposite of Arencibia: hits lasers after the pitcher tries to (foolishly) sneak a fastball down the middle. Gotta love the RBI’s. Keep batting him 4th in the lineup, Snakes!!!!!  (Also an exceedingly better batter at home).
6.)    Mike Aviles…..not a great hitter, but can run and use the Green Monster while at Fenway.
7.)    Michael Morse…….TNT. Ball EXPLODES off his bat. If a fantasy baseball team were an army, Morse would be the tank. (also cuz he’s slow, podding…..)
8.)    Jimmy Rollins…….One of the few guys whom I root for NOT to hit a home run, not only cuz his home run swing is long and results mostly in flyouts, but his speed on the basepaths is better utilized with line shots or one-hoppers (hopefully) through the infield.
9.)    Casey Janssen……where did this guy come from? Hasn’t given up a run in forever. Doesn’t seem overpowering (90-92mph fastball), but what I’ve seen, is DEADLY accurate. Struck out Mike Trout (God) last week with a fastball right on the outer black.
10.)            Rafael Soriano…..this guy always pitches well as the closer, never in any other role, it appears, indicating to me that he likes the $ signs. He’s been money.
11.)            Jon Lester……pretty consistent recently after cutting down the walks.
12.)            Jered Weaver…..God.
13.)            Ryan Vogelsong……..a fighter. Has guts. Determined. Whatever you want to say, this guy just gets the job done, and fights through the fact he doesn’t have overpowering stuff, is 34-years-old, and before 2011 was a baseball “journeyman.” Also doesn’t hurt he plays in a pitcher’s park, in the National League, in the worst hitting division in baseball. Very, very, dark “dark horse” candidate for NL CY Young. Yea I said it.  

14.)            Francisco Liriano……Honestly, probably one of the most likely players on my roster to go. (I have a high turnover rate on my roster). Always more hyped than skilled because of that one 2006 season and great “stuff,” he walks too many, plays in the wrong league, and gets wild at random times. Not what I want when I lock in a pitcher for a start (can’t risk getting lit up for 10 H, 4 BB, 7 ER, etc.)
15.)            Chris Capuano: I sometimes can’t tell whether I’m watching Ted Lilly or Chris Capuano. Same team, lefthander who relies on location and movement. Perfect place for this fly-ball pitcher at Dodgers stadium, but yea those 9 wins aren’t turning into 15+ wins with that offense.

 I, unlike other managers, don’t keep holding on to managers that I hate….I just trade or cut them. Period. There’s past players I hate (i.e. Kevin Youkilis). I see something I like about each and every player I have on my team, and I build emotional relationships with the ones that have been along for the longest. (Jimmy Rollins, I’ve had a love-hate relationship with you for four years now. But, I’ve come to the realization I cannot live without you. Will you sign a three-year contract with me?)

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan 

No comments: