Sunday, September 18, 2011

Almost Famous



“In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes.” – Andy Warhol

I admit, I’ve been sapped into the allure of becoming famous once or twice in my life. Whether it was going on Survivor/Big Brother, becoming a famous basketball player, being named as the next governor of California, I’ve had my desires of becoming famous (and still kinda do). Why? Well, for me, positive fame (not the kind you get on America’s Most Wanted) is a milestone, a marker in life showing that you’ve accomplished something, done something worthwhile, something to be celebrated, and everyone should know about it. Right or wrong, this was what motivated me to do well in school: a sense of accomplishment and proving to other people that I had what it takes. It was the same motivation in high school that propelled me to want to go to an Ivy League school: “I’ll show them. I’m awesome.”
Here’s 10 thoughts I NOW have about being famous:

1. Looking back, that motivation is a bit misplaced at best, and really I was thinking too much of myself: no one really cares that much. Most people care about themselves and their families.
2. Fame is different for a lot of people: some crave it, others loathe it, some are indifferent. It’s part of your personality: you could be the shy, reclusive type or the loud, outgoing, attention-grabbing type.
3. I wish more people got credit for positive fame: i.e. volunteering, discovering new medicines….instead of celebrity divorces, pregnancy tests, etc., etc. If more people got famous for positive achievements…. Maybe there would be more incentive to do good? Seem Logical?
4. It’s really not THAT hard to get famous (and I’m not just talking about committing a crime, etc.) Do something really unique, call your local news network, feed them the story… I guess it depends on the level of fame you want to achieve.
5. I wonder how it feels AFTER your 15 minutes (or seconds, as some are) of fame are up. Probably like you did before you had your 15 minutes….back to normal.
6. There’s some financial incentive to becoming famous (it correlates to more contacts, more recognizability, being able to book public speaking gigs)…..but is it worth the cost of getting there?
7. In 2007 I apparently was really off my rocker and took a poll suggesting I valued fame more than stability and security…….I’d like to think I’ve matured much more now and would choose the opposite.
8. I am inspired by stories of people jumping from obscurity to celebrity but remembering who their friends were before, and giving back to the community that got them there… kudos to those who’ve done that. Others who don’t do that, please learn.
9. I am disappointed by people who use their fame to belittle others or harm society in any way. If you’ve made it, congratualations.
10. Finally, to those who are famous, I say: with great power comes great responsibility. As a celebrity you have the power to change others, to have others listen to you and change people’s lives. Try to keep that in mind as you conduct your actions, and think about what you have the power to do. The world thanks you.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan


Random life thought: Do any religions belief in a form of afterlife where right after you die, you are reborn and begin a new life, tabula rasa? Cuz I’m beginning to think that, and hope that that’s actually the case……I know, not a revolutionary theory and pretty random, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

No comments: