Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hey Ho, Whaddya Know, Bears are going to the ........


Finally, it's here: Tomorrow is the Day of Reckoning. Ever since the NFC Conference Game participants were decided last weekend, when the Packers beat the Falcons and the Bears took care of the Seahawks, it's been the same message: the Packers are going to use Chicago as a stepping stone to reach the Super Bowl, fulfilling the prophecy that is Aaron Rodgers's career and adding to their storied tradition of winning. All week I've heard it, from ESPN analysts, football diehards, radio personalities, supposed "sports experts," and even (unfortunately) some Bears apologists. Las Vegas oddsmakers seem to agree, as most betting lines have the Packers as a 3.5-point favorite on the road against the Bears (basically saying that the Packers are a touchdown better than the Bears).

NOT SO FAST!!!

Listen, I have a reputation on sports analysis and on this site and people who listen to me or read me probably would agree, I am NOT a sports homer. I root for Chicago teams, I root for certain SoCal teams, I root for my alma mater (Illinois) whole-heartedly, but I am ALWAYS objective in my analysis. If I think my team's gonna get beat, I say so.... I hope they win regardless, but I know in my heart (and I express it through words) that I feel like it'll be an uphill struggle. Like today: Illinois basketball hosting #1 Ohio State: Illinois had high expectations coming into the season and haven't played well because their lack of size underneath and sometimes-stagnant offense, and I predicted a loss. I really hoped it wouldn't happen, but it did. So is life.

NOT SO about the Bears. It's amazing how much the beloved Bears have been this season. Early in the season they were one of the last undefeated teams in the league @ 3-0, got no credit because they didn't deserve it, and got thumped by the Giants and subsequent home losses to Washington and Seattle, and the league wrote them off. That was the first half of the season. After their bye (and going into the 2nd half), this has been a COMPLETELY different team. Except for one snowy day at Soldier Field in November (trouncing by the Patriots), the Bears have showed up to play every game. They always seem motivated, they play solid football, and they wear out their opponents. The Defense is living up to its Monsters of the Midway nickname: It is once against having another Glory Year, much like it did in 2006 or 1985: Super Bowl runs.

People say the Bears didn't beat anybody......they beat the Packers @home, the exact same game they'll play tommorrow. They beat the Jets.... seems like the Jets are a pretty good team now, doesn't it? They played the Packers tough @ Lambeau in a game the Packers needed infinitely more than the Bears. They DEMOLISHED the Seahawks in a game that wasn't close to as close as the game indicated.

Concerns? Everyone's favorite whipping boy, Jay Cutler. Yes, go ahead and show the errant throws Jay Cutler makes. Go ahead and show the Redskins game. Go ahead and doubt his tenacity. Underestimate him. Cuz when you look deeper at the stats and at past games, it tells a different story: Jay Cutler threw 23 Touchdowns to 16 interceptions this season, an above-average percentage for the NFL this season. He did it with minimal talent at WR positions (Knox, Bennett, Aromashedou, WHOOOO???) and a Tight End who doesn't run all that fast despite being a big target. Rushing game not exactly the best to set up the pass. For all the love Aaron Rodgers gets for pulling it down and scrambling with the football, Cutler is no tortoise. He can run too.

Colin Cowherd says if he had $10,000 to bet on the game tomorrow he'd put it all on Green Bay to cover. OK, Colin, I say if I had $10,000 to bet on the game tomorrow I'd put it all on Chicago. Something's gotta give. I feel SO convicted about this; I have never felt so strongly about sports ever in my life: So much so I've set up a personal stake in the game: if the Packers win tommorrow, I am wearing all-Packers gear and colors for a whole day and saying "I love Aaron Rodgers" all day in response to any questions. This would be terrible; I would truly be devastated if I have to do this, which is why I made the bet: I am confident the Bears can help me avoid that fate.

Obviously, it's not a sure thing. Something could go awfully wrong (as it does many times in sports) and Green Bay could come out with a blowout victory. Sure. But is it likely? No. And that's where I think my lesson is here: Before you count your chickens before they hatch, Green Bay, before ESPN starts setting up Aaron Rodgers personality story angles for the Super Bowl, before Colin Cowherd puts his life savings down on the Packers -3.5, I want to just remind everyone:

NOT SO FAST.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: