Monday, January 3, 2011

10 Questions with.....Robert Yan


Based on the Time Magazine column "10 Questions for (insert celebrity here).



1.) Q: If you were the richest person in the world, what would you do?

A: I would finish up law school and pay off all my loans (gosh, that'd be such a load off), buy my parents another house somewhere (somewhere exotic, most likely), buy the Dodgers (heard they're having some problems there) or similar pro sports franchise, become the sole financier for the production of the Mole 4 (with real-life contestants, not celebrity version) and run my own business. I've always thought I'd be great at running company as its CEO or owner; I'd love to have a chance.


2.) Q: What advice would you give to prospective law students?

A: Think long and hard before accepting. List out the pros, list out the cons. Sure, law school can be a very valuable experience with excellent career prospects if you're able to land a big firm job afterwards.....but therein lies the rub. Law is not for everyone, and more importantly law doesn't have enough room for everyone. Be sure that law is what you want to do, because if it's just the allure of money you may be bitterly disappointed.


3.) Q: What is the most valuable thing in your life?

A: I've been very lucky in life from a health standpoint; I rarely ever get sick nor sick. And my family, all things considered, is pretty awesome. So I wouldn't change those two things for the world; you need those as a baseline to go anywhere in my opinion.


4.) Q: You've had a lot of success with fantasy sports. To what do you attribute that success?

A: You gotta like what you're doing. I have a passion for following data on players, statistics, and watching sports. Gotta love what you're doing so that you put the man-hours in, or else you won't be motivated to manage your teams. Don't let it become a chore; play because you love it. O, and as with everything, luck......especially fantasy football, man.


5.) Q: You were a certified chess nerd in high school and co-captain of the chess team. How's that going now?

A: I only play against the 7-to-10 year-olds at the camp I work at and I constantly lose to boost their confidence. Or crush the kids who think they're really good. I think chess was one of those things in high school that fueled my competitive drive, and I also happened to be good at it. Any of those board games like chess or card games like hearts, if there's a clear winner/loser, I get competitive. I did really love chess and being in tournaments......those were the days, man.


6.) Q: Weren't you supposed to appear on Reality TV, like Survivor or something, by now?

A: Yea they haven't called me. Next question.


7.) What's the best job you've ever worked?

A: Haven't had that many yet.....lotta internships, work experience in college, high school grocery store worker.......still gotta be the 3 years I spent working at summer camp as a counselor. Basically getting paid to be a big kid and help kids become socially competent with their peers. I loved that job. But to propsective employers: You could definitely give me my BEST job ever........call me!


8.) Q: Favorite sports memory?

A: Still gotta be Illinois's 2005 NCAA tournament run to the championship game, man. I've bled orange and blue since little-tot status and love that team....that crazy come-from-behind victory against Arizona was like, EVERYTHING had to go right for that to happen. And it did. The "one time" miracles did happen.


9.) How's Laser Eye Surgery going? Any unexpected side effects?

A: So far so good. One year out and I see wonderfully; I probably will have to get reading glasses later on in life but no signs of deterioration; we'll see in like 10 years. But I'd recommend it if you have the cash; I feel like a free man unleashed from having to wear glasses.


10.) Q: Where do you go from here?

A: Finish up law school, take the bar, and most importantly find a job. My job from here on out is to find a job. Then excel at that job. Learn a lot. Seek mentors. Become an expert. Make fantasysportguru even better. But along the way, remember where I came from, retain the values that have gotten me this far. They haven't let me down yet.


Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: