Friday, June 13, 2008

Why aren't more people watching the mole?

Yea that's the question on my mind right now. Jeez, louise, people, you're missing out on a great show! Get a move on! Yea guess i'm just disappointed in the low ratings for the mole, which are somewhat explained by its out-of-the way 10/9 c time slot.

Man, when I wrote a few posts back that I was a lil disappointed about the first episode of the mole, I didn't expect it to have such an impact! Haha, seriously, watch the mole, give it a chance, it's a quality show. Someone on another blog made a point that the mole is superior to other reality TV shows like survivor or bachelor in that viewers actually have a lot of interaction with the show; they follow along with every move of every player and decide for themselves their own list of the suspects, and the quiz that all the players are take are available online. Trying to guess at the mole is the main premise of the show. And it should be the main premise of your monday night TV viewing habits. C'mon, people!

For what it's worth, after 2 episodes I've changed my pick of mole from Clay as orignially guessed to Alex. Clay has done nothing to indicate whatsoever that he's the mole, which doesn't necessarily mean he isn't, but..........Alex has been craftily making his way through the first 4 tasks. I can easily see how the producers set it up so the first task he goes first off the waterfall ( due to alphabetical order) and misses the bag w/ the built-in excuse of being the first to fall, then does terrible in the soccer game ( seriously, i dunno what soccer league he played in, but when does a soccer player dribble around with the ball on a penalty kick?), and then subtlely messing up the flying piggies game. If I were a contestant in the season, I wouldn't put all my eggs on him, obviously, this early in the game, but the writing's on the wall. It's not a full wall yet, but there's some scribbles.

Anyway, fantasy baseball. I've had plenty of distractions this season from my favoritest game, but now i'm back and more pumped forever. But just to encourage those who've fallen off a bit from the game, I can relate. Sometimes you feel through the long, long season that it doesn't really matter whether Ichiro went 0 for 4 last night, or your top reliever ( say, Heath Bell) got rocked for 2 runs and 4 hits last night. It's such a long season that it all balances out in the end, or you feel that it's just not very significant. They didn't really have that big an impact on the game! O, and you're leading in HR's anyway, so who cares if Justin Morneau got robbed at the wall?

Well, ladies and gentlemen, lemme just tell you a lil' story: Last year, I played in a winners league that I was very passionate about, all the players in the league were active participants, things were tense. I really wanted to win. And there were a few days I felt exactly what I'd just described, a feeling of triviality, that it doesn't really matter, or I'd seen it all before. I even got bored sometimes with Carlos Beltran: I mean, the guy isn't very exciting. Well, last season I lost by 0.5 points in the Yahoo! rotisserie league after making a furious comeback the last day to gain 3.5 pts but still lose by an eyelash. What was more upsetting was the # of categories I could have gained in. Two more runs and I would have gotten another half point. 1 More home run. Couple more points in batting average. That means on any given night, I could have just made another wise move or two, guessed right on somebody getting hot or facing a familiar pitcher and taking him/ her deep. I was sure I could have squeezed another one of those situations out, but I didn't. It hurt. Therefore, fantasy players, I urge you, don't let the season's length take its toll on your participation level. It'll cost ya.

O, and don't forget to watch the mole this monday 10/9 c. It'd make my day.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: