Saturday, August 8, 2026
Rolling Stone Top 500 albums
During my one Jeopardy taping day, I meant all the contestants who were going to tape episodes that day, and one gentleman from Virginia mentioned he studied for Jeopardy by listenin to all the albums listed int he Rolling Stone top 500 albums list, and not only was he listening to it but he was subjecting his 4 kids to these albums. When he said that, my gut reaction was, that's not a great way to study. Of course that's unlikely the only thing he studied, probably just a way to spend time in the car with his kids. Funny enough, one of the clues in his game did actually ask about one of those 500 albums, about Bojangles Robinson, but the contestant couldn't quite pull it. I looked through the top 500 albums list today.....and it's a pretty good list for Jeopardy purposes, it just is. I would never go through each album, probably not even a single album of these artists, not even the No. 1 ranked album on their list (Marvin Gaye's What's Going on) because there's too much filler, but the album names and one or two top hits on those albums are important to know.
I guess I just never got into pop music: I never understood why most musicians got addicted to drugs and had to trash hotel rooms, etc. I accept that it's part of the lifestyle of being on the road, or in the case of the Beatles doing drugs channeled their creative energy, but Taylor Swift seems to be doing just fine without the drugs. I do love, however, reading about all the music and the background about them, and the catchy titles of the bands as well as the album names, like "Fear of a Black Planet" by Public Enemy (itself with 2 iconic members named Chuck D and Flava Flav). It should really be a rule that albums cannot have the name of the band in it, like "Billy Joel Greatest Hits" or "Crosby Stills and Nash." Still a great album, but for trivia purposes it just doesn't work. "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" is a great album title which apparently comes from a Beatles lyric from "Tommorow Never Knows." Excellent use of iconic lyrics, like "Eternal sunsine of the spotless mind" being from an Alexander Pope poem. There's also a lot of sex and other r-rated activity in some of the songs, like the second half of Prince's 1999 album, so safe to say I will not subject Baby Girl Yan to all 500 of these albums until she's like......25.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment