Sunday, July 19, 2026
AQI
This weekend had the World Cup final and various other events across America, but the big deal in my memory will be the bad air quality all around the eastern half of the country, as measured by the AQI, Air Quality Index. I never gave much thought to air quality as a kid and when I moved to L.A. it was just assumed air quality would suffer due to the perpetual smog around the city and other June Gloom- type conditions, but now I do perceive a difference between fresh, clean air and hot, muggy, microparticle-filled air. I've had clean air in the mountains or on a clear brisk winter day, and it just feels different, like drinking clear ice cold water versus a hot soda. So on Saturday I had to take one of my first DNP's (Did Not Play) absenses ever from running: I just did not go outside for the whole day. I did see a number of people still walking around outside though, only a few of whom were wearing masks outdoors. Wearing a mask outdoors was one of those parodied aspects of the pandemic where people made the virus out to be stronger than it was in certain areas (it didn't have much affect outdoors), but in this case it was advised correctly to wear masks outdoors to prevent air getting into your lungs. Oh and the DOUBLE whammy this week was the spread of this new vegetable parasite found in salads, fruit, etc. that causes diarrhea.....apparently Taco Bell was the epicenter of the outbreak? Not good for my YUM stock!
I had the choice today of going to the local chess club or going to the local symphony orchestra to watch a performance of Bugs Bunny in Concert (happening at the same time as the World Cup) and I ended up going to chess, not because I love chess (I'm pretty dejected at this point at getting beaten in chess) but because the local club has a social vibe that I like: it's not just head down, silence, play chess for 2 hours and have no conversation; this club allows for friendly banter, it's held at a delicatessen not a library, kids are welcome to liven up the atmosphere. It's exactly what I needed in these times of staying home (not only due to AQI concerns but also just WFH as well as Take care of baby from home): social contact, preferably with friends if possible but next best is with people who at least have seen me before and/or know my name. I don't have the most friendly-looking face, in fact I try to give off a strong don't-talk-to-me vibe at Costco when they try to make contact and sell me cat food prescriptions for a cat that I don't have, but if you get to know me I can provide great banter, especially when something else is also happening like watching a TV show/sports game, driving on the road during road trips....or playing chess. Compare to a music concert, where I go to the concert hall which feels spacious and formal, but once the music starts rolling I can't do anything but listen and watch the performance......no talking on my part. That's a little less appealing to me. It's also encouraging to me how many people who go to chess club are just not good, and you don't have to be! Some people are probably like me, just looking to hang out with people with a common interest, and just reassure oneself that the outside world exists, and you can be a part of that world. And praise the organizers of chess clubs for keeping them going: it's not exactly the most popular of activities, and doesn't attract the most social type of people, but it's there for those who want it or need it.
Oh and sadly no one recognized me from Jeopardy. Oh well, can't win them all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment