Monday, May 18, 2020

Ways of waking up (일어나는 방법, 唤醒方式, 目を覚ます方法)

Waking up is a big deal in everyday life, incorporating everything from when one wakes up, where one wakes up, what part of the REM cycle you are in when you wake up,


1.) Waking up on own: my most highly recommended method. The glorious feeling of your own body deciding that it has had enough sleep and waking up refreshed to start the day. The best mornings I have are the ones where I wake up on my own, full of energy and able to run long distances or do a great amount of physical tasks for the day. Unfortunately, these are also the instances when I wake up the latest, like 10AM, 11AM, sometimes even noon.

2.) MJ's dad used to wake her up by clapping really loudly in front of her face at the appointed time, or speaking really loudly in an adjoining room to get her attention until she woke up, pulling the covers off in one swift motion (pretty aggressive method) or (this is my favorite method) exclaiming that it is later than it really is ("Oh it's already 9AM!" when it's only 8AM and getting MJ to be alarmed about the time enough to wake up. I hope to try this on my children one day; MJ will be my guinea pig for now to see how effective it is.

3.) Different people wake up in different intervals; whereas MJ is a groggy, half-asleep but conscious of what's going on around her type of sleeper, I am pretty much either "on" or "off"- either I'm awake or not awake. I might wake up at a certain interval during the night, but then I'll go right back to sleep and keep dreaming. (Even waking up cannot break up the storyline of the dream I was having, I'm somehow able to catch up after drifting up again, sort of like a TV commercial break).

4.) I'd say 90% of the time my alarm wakes me up. Almost all the time, I wake up to my alarm; at least my body does not develop antibodies or becomes naturally immune to the sound of Apple Iphone's alarm beat. There are, however, those select times the alarm is not loud enough, or I've buried my phone under something so that it thinks I'm pressing the snooze button infinitely, which I'm not. And those are times I get to work late and have a rude awakening about what time it is.  Am I a "hit the snooze button" person? Rarely, but only if I've given myself a "landing strip" to not have to wake up until I absolutely have to, where there's a bargaining stage of telling myself when I

5.) Recently, the stock market has been a good motivating factor to wake up! At 9:30AM, rain or shine, the stock market opens, and that's when the market is usually the most volatile for the rest of the day and has had a whole night to process new information, swing in the after-hour trading, so it can be a really big shock to the senses when the news (bad or good) comes out, and that's enough to get me out of bed and ready to go. I guess money/stock market is my version of MJ's latte art and coffee that gets her out of bed: a positive inspiration.

No comments: