Sunday, October 27, 2019

Handicap Accessible (ハンディキャップアクセシブル, 残障可用)

side effects of MJ's scooter injury and subsequent broken leg: I've had to do a lot more chores around the house that MJ usually did before (so I gained appreciation for her usual diligence but also gained a little annoyance over her OCD meticulousness- she's the first person I've met who picks up every single hair that drops onto the floor from my body- if only we could sell each hair for money- we'd get rich from picking them all up!) I've gained much more appreciation for handicap accessible public facilities and places that allow for handicap spaces.

Normally when I scour a parking lot for parking spots, I get a little agitated when I can't find a spot right away and then I see the open handicapped spot in a cushy location that's open but I can't use and think, "man I wish I could use that." Other thoughts that popped into my mind include "do they really need that many handicap spots?" and "maybe I should get handicapped to use that spot." All invalid thoughts......there are actually quite a few people who need it, and what you don't want is to have a dearth of spots for those who really need to get out near the door. It's an ordeal to get MJ out of the car into a wheelchair or onto crutches every time we go somewhere, and then back into the car, much more of a hassle than just someone walking out of a car. And MJ's just temporarily disabled and can use the rest of her body, I can imagine how much more difficult it is for people with less physical ability than her. Nowadays, even with the "handicap" parking pass displayed on the back of our rear view mirror, allowing us access to any parking space, I still feel a little guilty about using it sometimes, especially if MJ is not in the car.......are there people who need it more than us? Am I taking up a spot that could have went to another person with a disability? But glad that they are there.

Many museums and shopping facilities have wheelchairs to borrow! MJ and I "went out on the town" yesterday after she lived like a vampire/ hermit of not stepping outside of the home for many weeks, and we were pleasantly surprised at art museums that allowed patrons to borrow a wheelchair to wheel them around the facility, as well as Costco and Trader Joe's! Anything to get customers to buy things more easily I guess. The shopping malls have a go-cart like device where the shopper sits in a shopping cart and can drive themselves throughout the store, a little dangerous for cramped spaces like Trader Joe's but convenient for MJ to pick and grab as she's sitting .I think she thoroughly enjoyed that more than just regular shopping.

Having never got injured in my life (again, thankful for my circle of protection) I didn't put any thought into reasonable accommodations that stores and other places put for setting up ramps, elevators, etc. for allowing freedom of access for people with disabilities. There's apparently an evaluation of these places by people with disabilities as how "accessible" a place is, like if my apartment doesn't have elevators, it's not "easily accessible." It's like a Yelp review for facilities to treat people with disabilities, each place gets a grade of how "accessible" it is, and many people with disabilities will use this information to decide whether they go somewhere or not. I'm glad I got the experience to see the world from their perspective, and MJ apparently did so too........She got to appreciate art while sitting in a wheelchair being pushed around to different exhibits in an art museum, so she saw works of art at a different eye level than she would normally: It's amazing what can happen when you view a work of art, an idea, a person, or anything in a new light!

No comments: