Sunday, July 7, 2019

Economy Class (일반석)

One of MJ's dreams is to one glorious day, ride business class to her destination. So far on trips, we've only flown one way, the only way I've ever known how to fly: economy class. It's very obvious what airlines do: they put the first class and business class at the front of the plane, with the large open seats and the ample leg room, and let those passengers get on the plane first and get settled in (THEY never have to fight for overhead bin space and run the risk of their bag having to be checked unexpectedly!) And they get to leave the plane first, which matters for me to get off the plane, out of the airport, and back home (or to work after a red eye) as soon as humanly possible. And they sleep on the plane! (Although I sleep on the plane too, probably less comfortably). It's really one of the ways that society divides the haves and the have-nots, the business class and the economy class, and then makes people want to be part of the haves. And it's a great marketing device...... everyone wants to be part of the in-crowd, no one wants to be left behind. The only thing separating you from business class and economy class is just a bit of money. It works.

I don't know why, but maybe I get a little bit of perverse satisfaction from traveling economy, or living economy, living frugally. There's a little bit of psychological "I came from nothing, I don't need all these fancy things to live a rich life." I think I've also been lucky enough to be exposed to "business class" people in my life.....and I'm not that impressed. Predictably, business class people view economy class people as inferior and only try to talk to people higher than them, in a power grab to get to the top. I'm no Robin Hood or inspirational folk hero, but I tend to sympathize with people lower than me actually, try to get to understand them more and see them as superior for fighting through tough times. Like the late Anthony Bourdain, I tend to admire those guys in the back of the kitchen who show up every day to work to feed their families and don't have fancy chef clothes on and get the "sous chef" or head chef title more than the people dining at the first class restaurant who've made it but look down on those who are working because they have to. I have the financial ability to ride business class a few times (not all the times, heavens) but at the end of the day, I find economy class to be a representation of the every day person who is just trying to get through this thing called life and like to think that I can bare through and wear it like a badge of honor. And at the end of the day, I'm on the same plane that gets to the same place as the business class people.


I think the best flight I've ever taken was with Korean Airlines in Korean.......no wonder they get such good ratings for customer service! I watched a video of the extensive hiring process for Korean flight attendants.....many women in Korean believe that it's one of the best jobs to get into! (It might be an Asian sentiment because my Asian co-worker also told me recently she was interviewing to be a flight attendant after MANY years as an attorney) Apparently the pay is decent, they travel to different places and sometimes around the world if they get booked on international flights.....actually similar to my lifestyle where I may have to travel around for awhile. But then of course there's the stress of being on one's feet in tight spaces all the time and going through different time zones......and dealing with needy customers. Specifically for Korean Airlines, the flight attendant asked me several times whether I needed anything and was smiling enthusiastically, whether that was forced or not it still was helpful, even though I was economy class! I don't need necessarily for customer service to bow at me with their back arched at a certain number of degrees, but courtesy and service are sometimes not expected and not given at the economy levels! Side note: I used to work right next to the building in downtown LA where Korean Airlines took their flight attendant to stay between flights (you could tell from all the white dress-uniformed and well-maintained with fancy makeup and objective beauty walking into the hotel. They stayed at the Weston Bonaventure, one of the high-class hotels at the time, and now I'm guess they stay at the new Korean Airlines building (Intercontinental Hotel) where MJ and I stayed for our wedding night which was special for me but everyday for them! Jealous!

No comments: