Friday, November 27, 2015

Instant Replay (インスタントリプレイ)

I love studying tape of sports games, and recently I've started watching my own games of dodgeball to go over any flaws in my game, and I've come to realize that dodgeball is one of the best sports to look at on instant replay. There's so many balls moving around that it's impossible to know exactly what happened during any given game without seeing the instant replay. Plenty of times I'm in a haze about how a game that I participated in turned out until after it's all over and I check the video. "Oh that's who got me out!" or "Oh that's how we won!" is often heard. It must be how athletes feel during their video sessions: during the actual game I am totally focused on the task at hand and what I need to be doing, I don't care about what happened already, only what I can do moving forward to get our team the W, which is the way it should be.

The other great thing about replay is watching my own body, playing style, and everything about me. It's very narcissistic to watch myself and cheer when I do something good and make excuses when I do something that hurts my own team, but it definitely gets me excited to see how other people see me.

Body mechanics.... super important to see how I'm getting my feet set, where my eyes are looking, how my timing is, if I'm missing something off the court. Often times I rewind a particular play 3, 4, 5 times to get a better feel for it and different conditions happening, with dodgeball there's so many different things to look at at different times that it's impossible to get a 100% clear picture of what happened the first time watching, much less live as the game is happening.

Oh and finding out who cheated and was supposed to be out. Obviously doesn't change the result of the game if someone cheated to find out about it after, but the human curiousity/ desire for fairness kicks in and I NEED to know.



Also, suits (not the TV show!)......I might lose my man card for saying this, but what's the big deal with suits? They all kind of look the same to me. I can't really tell the difference between a $100 suit and a $1000 suit, except maybe the name brand, but I'm not exactly an expert on what's better, a Michael Kors suit or Armani. Or Calvin Klein? They're like watches to me, they perform the same function of telling the time. Other questions I have about modern men's formal fashion that I'm too embarrassed to admit not knowing and asking others:

Linen suit? Sharkskin suit? Plaid?
Does a certain color make one look more professional than others? Solid black? Grey? Brown? White suit is for pimps?

What shoes go well with what colors? I used to always think black shoes were the way to go for formal wear, but now recently there's the advent of the brown shoes? Is that a thing?
Button the top button? Or button two buttons?
Has the bow tie replaced the normal tie? Or is the Phillip Rivers bolo tie also becoming a thing now?
Is the napkin tucked neatly into the left pocket of the suit necessary?
Do I HAVE to get a tailored suit if I think I fit pretty well into a normal size suit?
I'm a big fan of the black-tie formal wear with the bow tie, standard dress code for performing at my violin concerts. Can I just wear those all the time?

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: