Saturday, April 17, 2010

APALSA banquet

Unbelievable how lazy this guy is, the Guru. Baseball season gets started on April 4th and he's updated his blog ZERO times since then. Well, let's remedy that situation, shall we? I've updated my blog with my most recent pic. Honestly, I think despite all of the Guru's faults like laziness, gluttony, and complacency, his boyish good looks and general handsomeness allow people to overlook all of his flaws. ( Thanks to my new best friend for the pic, and the following inspiring link for blogging ):

www.bloggersblog.com/blog/726082.

To the night on the diamond. Congrats to Ubaldo Jimenez who threw a no-hitter tonight despite SIX walks. Reminds me of a certain ex-cub by the name of Jose Jimenez who did it for the Cards in 1999. Probably unlike the current Jimenez, Jose unfortunately did not go to a very prodigious career after tossing the no-no. Ubaldo should have a healthy road ahead of him. However, be on the lookout for his next start, cuz the 6 walks are like a thorn on thorn on the rose, and huge let-down could be in store.

So sick of Adrian Gonzalez not getting support in the lineup. Chase Headly, develop into a viable 4-hitter PLEASE!!!

Jose Reyes doesn't look ready yet. It's like spring training for him, so be patient. But this season may not be the 60-steal, 120-R season you were looking for.

What to do with Mike Napoli? Fantasy owners everywhere crossing fingers that either he or Jeff Mathis get traded.

"Elite pitchers" struggling out of the gate: Zack Greinke, Jon Lester, Cliff Lee (hasn't played yet). Reasons why I wait for pitching later. However, on the flip side, I acknowledge that great starts by Tim Lincecum, Adam Wainwright, and C.C. Sabathia dilute my argument.

Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen, sell jason bartlett and ben zobrist while the luster from last year still hangs in the air. These guys are still homerless between them and on their way to getting replaced in the lineup by other Rays. DO it. (like in Starsky and Hutch).

OK so I REALLY had a lot of fun at the APALSA banquet last night. It makes 2 back-to-back slam dunk ones I've had where I came out of there really feeling good about myself AND the people I hung out with that night. (Don't usuallyget a combo of both, usually when I hang out with practicing attorneys I leave in awe of their accomplishments and feel inferior).

You know how you have a thing every year that you really look forward to, and not just the ones that you're supposed to look forward to, like Christmas or New Year's Eve or your mom's birthday? This is definitely one of them. After a long week full of drama, working, and almost NO leisure time whatsoever, the APALSA banquet was the last thing on the menu, and it absolutely
ROCKED. There was really not a dull moment in there. Drastic contrast to going to my parents' Asian friends' parties where there's an initial flurry of "Hi, aunt, hi uncle ( you say that to parents' friends who aren't even your relatives), and then meet the 3 or 4 kids that have had the misfortune of also being dragged to the particular party with you, and you try to make nice and have fun. LOTS of down time in those circumstances.

Obviously, it's an extreme example, but it illustrates the opposite of what a good party is: you know some people there and can reconnect, but you also meet new people and really hit off. And everyone observes certain levels of social interaction, like taking turns to talk and NOT picking their nose while they're speaking to you (this actually happened to me once). Especially since most people there are going to be my colleagues in the near future, practicing professionals who a good majority of whom will be living in L.A.

I also enjoyed my position of "unofficial host" of the ceremonies. You know, there's very little that gets me REALLY excited in life.....my fantasy baseball pitcher tossing a complete game 3-hitter for instance, or an amazing blindside on Big Brother, or receiving an A in law school (only once have I received that honor), but organizing an event is one of them. The hustle and bustle, the moving around from place to place, the making sure that everyone knows what's going on and facilitating everybody's experience...that's what makes me tick, and I actually ENJOY doing it. I invest a lot emotionally in it, and unfortunaely if it goes poorly (happens) I am down on myself for it. But when it goes well, I am truly jazzed, it's a pure adrenaline rush that I hear skydivers and and other adrenaline junkies get. It makes me want to yell, "WWOOOOOOO" and want to dance. But nobody wants to see me do that. Trust me.

Anyway, thanks to all who came to the APALSA Banquet last night. It was truly an honor and a thrill for me. And you can be sure I will be there next year. Looking forward to it already.

Fantasize on,

Robert Yan

No comments: