Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Good News/ Bad News

There's a little mini-game/quirk i do with my campers during the summers, it's called, " good news/ bad news." basically, i just think of 2 things that are gonna happen, and tell the kids, "hey guys, i got some good news, and i got some bad news." Often the bad news is something pretty benign, like "we don't have strawberry flavored juice bars" and the good news is like, instead, we have better-tasting lemon bars!

But today was definitely a good news/ bad news day, as i got significant information on both sides of the spectrum.

First the bad news. I've been working with my sister to study for the spelling bee at her school, in hopes of ultimately making her a competitve young speller and make the national spelling bee, then who knows what may happen, but that was not to be as she reported that she was eliminated from the school spelling bee today, in the first round no less, by the word "trauma." It was kind of unlucky, as other kids got easy words like "vanilla" and "chocolate" that are more commonplace, but we did study trauma at least a little bit, and if she had just gotten past that word she probably would have advanced. O well. She has a bit of time, and if she can really dedicate herself to it, and with the best coach in the world in yours truly ( lol, i am so full of myself), she can really do pretty well in the coming years. Gotta work, tho.

Well, the good news is that I received a substantial scholarship offer from _______ University School of Law that gets me excited, and I am really interested by that school now, as its priority in my mind has just went up. I didn't know whether i'd be able to afford a private, non-state school w/o the in-state tuition, but the scholarship definitely helps. College is expensive, and to have basically earned money from my performance on the LSAT and in undergrad is a definite boost. Especially since i didn't pay too much for UIUC undergrad neither, i'm looking at getting through undergrad and law school in 6 years w/o paying too much. That's solid.

Some slight bad news is that my basketball game has hit a rut. I'm in a sort of vince carter-2003 phase where my offensive game is just not clicking, primarily cuz i'm not making shots. Gotta break out of that.

Slightly good news- I've gotten a lot of stuff done for our SIFE ( Students in Free Enterprise) project that deals with recycling, and i'm really looking forward to presentin in soon, as it'll be another chance to work with kids and influence young people ( hopefully a positive influence).

The Good/Bad News-

In a sort of "no news is good news, or is it" predicament, I saw that my Georgetown University status checker went to "decision" today, which could be good news or bad news. The pessimistic side ( and maybe the realistic side) says it could be bad news, but the other part is crossing his fingers.


Well it's been a busy wednesday considering i woke up at 10:00 AM to get to a 10:30 class. Sorry there wasn't much fantasy material today, took a day off i guess, although a prominent fantasy name, "vince carter" was mentioned.

Fantasize on,
Robert Yan

No comments: