Thursday, November 1, 2007

That's how we do

Hey folks-

First post in November. Checking past posts real quick, got 8 posts down in October, but remember, that was cuz I didn't start posting until like mid-month.

Playing a stock market game in fin300, doing really well in it. Started out w/ 4 million dollars, got a 20% return by now. It's pretty sweet. We also really started investing when the stock market got hot, but I still think we're doing a solid job, got some really volatile stocks mixed in w/ some slow-movers; shorted WWE stock, bought GOOG AND BIDU, which I know they're essentially the same type of company but i saw how far they could go just in a day and was tempted.

Also, I'm really suprised by Berkshire-Hathaway's progress. It takes like millions of dollars to buy their stock, but it goes up substantially just because of its sheer price.
Anyway, the game has really made me conscious of something that I've always wanted to have an awareness, in stock markets. I got a lot of stuff to learn, but at least I'm interested. That's the way I am, I guess: If I'm passionate about something, I'll really get into it, move myself to excel in it.


Fantasy Football. Kind of a slow week of football, in my opinion, with just one game that EVERYONE's looking out for, Patriots and Colts at Indianapolis. That game is probably gonna set regular season viewer rating records for CBS; people all around the country are buzzing about it, and there's no way I could see anybody NOT watching it if you like football. I think the consensus is that the Patriots are a little better right now, but I see the Colts winning for some reason. Brady's got a lotta weapons now, and the Colts secondary really needs to be stout against Moss & Co. Any way you slice it, this is gonna be a close game, and at least 60 points are gonna be scored here.


I miss playing cards. Last year in our dorm room, we had five guys basically living together, and chances were at any time at least 4 of us would be around to get a card game going, whether it was hearts, spades, euchre, go fish, B.S., etc., etc. etc. Not happening this year. My roommates either are always out or wanna use alcohol for entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong w/that, but it was definitely better for me when cards were played. I'm a REEEEEAAALLLLY competitive person.


If anyone is still getting a fantasy basketball league together, consider hoops.sports.ws. It's the website that Illinois Fantasy Basketball is using, and it's really a pretty neat system. As with other sites, it's got its problems, but it really garners a league atmosphere and has a unique head-to-head matchup configuration. O, and it's got pictures of the NBA players. Selling factor for me.

To finish, I'll state my preferences give 2 different players at this point of the season.

Joseph Addai/ Brian Westbrook: I like Addai. Still concerned that Westbrook will get hurt at some point.


Peyton Manning/Tony Romo: Some have argued for Romo cuz Peyton's not throwing as many TD's this year. I saw pshaw. Romo's a flash in the pan, can we really trust him in the fantasy playoffs? I think not.

Braylon Edwards/ Reggie Wayne: I'm almost thinking Braylon right now. He's in the middle of his breakout year, he's the undisputed #1 receiver there, and the Browns throw a lot. Plus, that team's Week 14, 15, and 16 can't get any more favorable.

Jason Witten/ Antonio Gates: GATES, baby!


LaMont Jordan/ Travis Henry: I choose death.

Roethlisberger/Favre: Legacy-wise, I take Favre. And this is a semi-bears fan talking, but I'd take roethlisberger: looks like he's reconnected w/ hines ward, they've got a nice pass game going, i like that pittsburgh team. Favre's nice, i guess. Bleh.

Laverneaus Coles/ Roy Williams: Uh, i think the lions will start to throw A LOT more, kitna's due, and williams's his big, bad target. Look out.

Fantasize on, Robert Yan

No comments: