Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Ten People You Meet During the Pandemic

 1.) No one. This is the obvious answer as everyone is locked down in their own homes. Normally in a given year, I estimate that I meet at least 20 to 30 new people, if not more. This year, after March, I have met ZERO new people, no new Facebook friends, no new names and phone numbers added to my phone, no new faces to add to my internal facial recognition system. I think I've lost social skills as well: I went to an apartment-sponsored NFL viewing event the last couple weeks (I went primarily for the free pizza and wings) and tried to strike up a conversation: no dice. Even the apartment representative, whose primary job is to make me feel comfortable and continue paying rent to the apartment and renew my lease, gave me one-word answers that did not allow for furthering of the conversation. And it was about football! One of the easiest topics to talk about without politics or awkwardness clouding the discussion. It was either a reflection on him or me. But I actually do miss meeting new people: now I have to count hosts of new podcasts I listen to as "people I met," like Kyle Kulinski who hosts the Secular Talk show, good show for politics. 


2.) Everyone on a Zoom call. Zoom stock recently broke 500! (after being under 100 in February before the pandemic) but there are severe, severe limitations on Zoom. The conversations just seem so artificial, difficult to have an intimate conversation without considering that there are 10, 20, 100 other people on the Zoom call. It's a particularly inefficient way to conduct conversation: the more people join the call, the more inefficient it is for everyone having to listen to one person. It's VERY important in these situations for the leader of the Zoom call (usually the boss or host of the party) to guide the conversation and address specific people to speak and not cut off others, as opposed to sticking to a one-one conversation. 

3.) The standoff- one running path that's only wide enough for 1 person, you are running in one direction when you see another running coming in the opposite direction. Who gives way? Who plods ahead relentlessly? It's a classic game of chicken, who will not give up their right of way and just keep moving. I personally think it's a matter of courtesy to try to cross the street or move off the path far enough to maintain the 6 foot social distancing, but in the worst case scenario, I hold my breath, turn my head the other way, and not breathe at the same time the other person is exhaling. 

4.) The restaurant server who is wearing his or her mask under the nose: get out of the restaurant right away, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Zero tolerance policy for restaurants that do not enforce a strict mask-wearing policy especially when there is food lying around. 

5.) Elevator guy not wearing a mask: when getting in an elevator it's like the scene of a horror movie: first with waiting for the elevator to arrive at my floor wondering if someone will be in it, the gradual sliding open of the doors (to the tune of the Jaws music) to reveal.......no one, most of the time. Phew. But when there is someone, it's a bit of a shock, and I have to assess the situation whether to get in that elevator and put my life on the line or not. Luckily some people make it easy by having a mask on already and looking away, hiding into the corner of the compact elevator. (It's like a scene from the horror movie "Devil" with 5 people in an elevator, one of them is the devil) Once in awhile, though, it's a man who seems to have been sweating, not wearing a mask, and looking at me when the elevator door opens almost welcoming me into a Covid sauna room..... no thanks. I'll take the next one. 

6.) The social activist. Despite being in a pandemic, as the school year has started, I was approached by a student while I was running on campus to answer some questions about "Defund the Police" and "Black Lives Matter." He was wearing a mask and adhering to the 6 feet guidelines, but I was still a little taken aback by his upfront nature during Covid, further reminding me that election years are a crazy time anyway, and some people prioritize winning an election over almost everything, even social distancing. 

7.) Department of Motors Vehicle......here in NC every driver's license office requires an appointment made online....and there are no spots available same day, the appointments have to be set weeks in advance like scheduling a doctor or dentist visit (and almost as painful). Outside the DMV there's a security officer who goes through the initial intake questions of whether I have had a fever or feeling sick....but there's really no follow-up to see if I'm lying, although I guess I was wearing a mask which made it OK. When I finally did get to a DMV representative, she was surprisingly....nice. Very different from every other DMV visit I have ever had, responded to my questions calmly and respectfully, did everything efficiently and even guided me through a rougher than expected road signs test (they just gave me a yellow pentagon sign without any words on it......usually road signs are pretty obvious on their face so that I would know that yellow pentagon means pedestrian crossing or school zone, and I wouldn't have been able to articulate "divided highway" as the name for a sign if I had 5 or 6 guesses. Sounds like a jeopardy term. 

8.) homeless people outside of Chipotle, off the highway, where the rich people are. At least they are wearing masks, I guess. I feel much less guilty about ignoring these folks and passing by as a.) I realize I can pass off as a non-English speaker, and b.) I can just blame the pandemic for being anti-social. Safety first, guys. 


No comments: