Monday, February 3, 2020

Oversleep (睡 过头, 寝坊, 과자)

To oversleep- as opposed to Korean which is just "over sleep," the Chinese translation of oversleep is to "go over your head with sleep," and the Japanese version is a "boy/monk who sleeps all day." Lots of imagery of sleeping too much that I probably fit under, and I did so today, on Groundhog Day and Super Bowl Sunday. 

Usually I set an alarm at the end of the previous day for when I have to get up the next day (usually 2 alarms in case one of them doesn't go off and/or I don't react to one of them), but once in a while I'll just go with the "let it ride" approach, no alarm clock and just see how long I sleep for. It can go for awhile, which can make me seem greedy with sleep, but on the other hand, is it greedy if the body is naturally sleeping that long? Perhaps it needs that much time to recover, let the mind recuperate from a long work week, etc. I'm a strong believer in listening to one's body: to give it food when it wants to, to rest when something hurts, and to sleep when it tells me to. There's plenty of coffee, medication, and other drug to manipulate the body temporarily, but nothing to me beats doing what the body wants. 

MJ nods off A LOT when her body is telling her to sleep, and it's always a dilemma for me whether to wake her up or not.......on one hand if she's told me to wake her up, I should probably wake her up because she has something she needs to study, and she might get angry at me (it actually led to a huge fight for us one time, but with other extenuating circumstances), but on the other hand I think it's probably better for her and her health to just get the sleep she needs. I view sleep as a recovery state, like sending an injured Pokémon to the Pokémon center to get treated, or putting my Apple airpods into the charging case to be recharged.......if the earpod alerts you that it needs to be recharged, you should probably recharge it and not wait until it just completely shuts off on its own. 

I'm really nervous about how little sleep we will get when we start a family and have a baby (or gasp! Two), as the horror stories from new parents come flooding in, I reckon that will be one of the toughest things about having a child, is the lack of sleep which affects everything about life. There won't be many days of getting enough sleep, much less oversleeping, so I better enjoy one of the rare luxuries of life now while I can. I have a co-worker whose wife just gave birth to their second child, after barely getting through the baby years with their first child who's now 4.......he consistently nods off during the middle of the day and has to steal some precious minutes during his lunch break to sneak some sleep in the break room......I just pity him so much from a sleep deprivation standpoint and see myself in the future just fighting to get through the day. I wish I could accrue some sleeping credit now so I could use them in the future.... harvest them into pill form and that take them when I'm sleep-deprived to get an instant 3-hour nap booster........perhaps there might be a real pill for that in the future? Drug companies get on it, highly lucrative idea. 

Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan 

No comments: