Wednesday, November 2, 2016

World Series Game 7

Long time no sports posts, but I had to memorialize the historic Game 7 World Series game tonight between the Cleveland Indians and the Chicago Cubs. That's right, the Chicago Cubs! My 10-year-old or 16-year-old self would have been so elated to find out the Cubs would be in a World Series, much less a Game 7. Back then all Cubs fans like myself had to look forward to were Sammy Sosa, Mark Grace, lovable losers, and rare playoff appearances that didn't result in anything close to the playoffs. It seemed like summer after summer of futility, listening to dynamic team of Pat Hughes and Ron Santo, an awesome way to spend childhood summer evenings learning the game as a Chinese immigrant. The Cubs lost a lot, but the radio team was awesome, almost like listening to a friendly conversation between guys at a game and enjoying themselves, and it was through these broadcasts I learned the essence of baseball: 

Baseball isn't about winning all the time, going to the World Series, always being in must-win attitude. Sure, winning is nice, no doubt about it, and allows for excitement, but baseball is about a way of life, everything from the awesome baseball stadiums (why I did my baseball trip!), to baseball cards, to radio broadcasts, to taking the whole family to the game, to pennant races, to enjoying the evening outside at a baseball game, so many different things other than winning go into the baseball experience. Sure it's a long season, and 162 games is probably excessive for one sport (It's nearly half the year! If you include spring training and the postseason, it's more than half the year!) but part of the essence of baseball is its consistency, that it's always there, there's a game almost every day of the summer, that resonates with the changing of seasons and becomes a daily lifestyle for lovers of the game. 


As I've grown older, my interest in baseball have diminished a bit: I still keep track of scores through fantasy baseball, but I don't watch games, I don't devote large chunks of time to checking out baseball stats, and I don't even hold myself out to others as a Cubs fan (deep in my heart, though, there's still a true blue, Cubbie-blue blood Cubs fan). I am not a big fan of people generating negative energy against negative fans, becoming unruly after excessive amount of drinks, and paying hundreds of dollars just to get into a Wrigleyville bar (not even the actual game!) or missing work the day after Game 7 (as many people are doing) to celebrate the Cubs victory, but I still understand the exuberance, the long pent-up fandom of Cubs fan. Trust me, I get it. Plus, it's game 7 of a World Series, one of the best sporting events in any sport, with historical ramifications (Indians haven't won the World Series since 1945, Cubs 1908). One of the best days in sports in a long time, and the team that I grew up watching (and listening to) is part of it. This is what a sports fan dreams of, and hopes to avoid the post-game partying and/or rioting (depending on the outcome) afterwards. Can't wait! 

GO Cubs GO! 

No comments: