Saturday, January 30, 2016

60 years old (還暦/かんれき)

My father turned 60 years old today. There's a lot of things about being 60.....I hope I reach 60 one day, as that will allow me to live essentially another life in addition to the one I've been lucky enough to have now.....

At 60, you can start collecting retirements funds (from your 401k), which is nice. 66 is the social security retirement age, which is still a bit away.

At 60 I hope to still be in somewhat of athletic shape. Just played a round of tennis with my dad and he's still pretty limber. People still run marathons at age 60! (92 year old women last year)  People climb Mount Everest at age 60! (80 year old man did it) I hope to be able to play tennis when I'm 60. Maybe take up golf?

At 60 I hope to be still be intellectually advanced...I know I won't be growing any more brain cells, but maybe be able to pick up another language or something? Not out of the question. I hope to have the same intellectual curiosity as I do now. I hope to still have the urge to travel and the energyt to travel.

At 60, I hope to have kids. Maybe even grandkids? But my dad is now 60 and doesn't have grandkids yet....thanks to me.

At 60, there's still plenty to do! Bernie Sanders is 75 years old and running for president (and doing pretty well!) The big night for him comes in 2 nights with the Iowa Democratic causes, which is currently a dead heat between him and Hilary Clinton (no spring chicken at 68 years old), who's still the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination but has really surprisingly lost some ground to Sanders, who's more charismatic, seems to have better ideas (not to mention ideals. Free college for everyone!) and almost more importantly, doesn't have the whole leaking confidential emails while working in the State Department thing hanging over him.

Kevin Costner, Bruce Willis, and Whoopi Goldberg are 60 years old. Seems like the stars of the 90's are finally going to start disappearing from the limelight.

Happy birthday, dad! May you continue a long and prosperous life!


No comments: