Thursday, July 17, 2014

Bobbleheads


 

I have a James Shields bobblehead on my desk at work. I don’t particularly like James Shields, I’m not a Royals fan, and the James Shields bobblehead is not necessarily the best one ever: the depiction isn’t uncanny, and there’s nothing especially tremendous about the bobblehead. I don’t think the bobblehead has much resale value or will somehow accumulate historic value in 50 years like baseball cards do.

But for me, the James Shields bobblehead is a special memento. We take pictures and videos (especially easy now with Iphones and other smart gadgets), but those are nontangible images capturing the moment. Souvenirs are tangible, an actual something that carries weight. I can’t say that one is better than the other, but bobbleheads for me have always carried a special significance, so much so that I give them out as gifts to various friends (makes a nice housegift or going-away gift for sports fans). Over the years I’ve given out a Kevin Love bobblehead to a T-Wolves fan and Clayton Kershaw/Mike Trout bobbleheads to their respective fantasy baseball league owners.

When I look at the bobblehead, I can immediately summon the process of me obtaining that bobblehead and all the emotion and experience that came with it….first day of a long road trip spent in Kansas City with my high school friend, came in a fancy box at Kauffmann Stadium, carried it around with me for the rest of the trip, forever have a connection with “Big Game” James Shields.

I think it’s important to think and reminisce about a trip after it passes……especially since during the trip, things just happen so fast and there’s so much stimulus thrown at you that it’s hard to process it all. Only until you’re back at the desk doing repetitive tasks and boredom sets in do you realize what a blast you had on the trip, how many different places you visited, how many cool things you got to do. Those don’t come along all the time, and for me I saved up a lot of money and time for that trip, I might as well go back into my memory banks from time to time and summon up awesome images of it. The bobbleheads and other souvenirs help me remember that.

In a way, bobbleheads are like trophies- reminders of great accomplishments or great times in the past. Without those tangible reminders, we might not learn from history or be able to bask in the glory of past times. I also am a big fan of giving out trophies for almost anything: a fantasy baseball championship, a most valuable player award on a dodgeball team, a really funny joke or being the best comedian on a road trip.

By the way, I have Eric Davis (old Cincinatti Reds player) and Scooter Gennett ( current little-regarded Brewers utility player). Oh and a Todd Frazier shirt that I will be wearing (hopefully) while watching him lead my fantasy baseball team to victory.
 
Fantasize on,
 
Robert Yan

No comments: