Sunday, May 19, 2013

May Day Q&A


Pretending to be someone of importance, I have asked myself several questions (I may or may not have written the answers first) that are pressing on my (and I’m sure all my readers’) mind(s).
Q: What’s with the lack of blogs entries this year?
8 posts for the fantasy blog this year (this being the 9th?) unbelievable. What can I say, I have to go with the “I’ve been busy” excuse.  I’ve had hours in past years where I think, I don’t have anything going on, let’s update my life. Those hours have been far and few between this year with a new job, a new language, and new goals. Time for self-reflection is fleeting; even my lonely car rides (in which I had time to think about long-term stuff, day dream and just catch up with myself) are spent listening and trying to improve myself.
Q: Is it going to continue?
A: No. I am not letting 2013 be a lost year in the “Chronicles of Robert Yan.” 20 years from now I think this may be a pivotal year, and I’m not letting it go unrecorded.
Q: What are some suggested improvements for Game of Thrones?
Game of Thrones could learn something from a major league lineup: bat the speediest guys on top, your “best hitter” 2nd, hitter with the best contact and power at 3rd, best power guy at 4th….etc. Some of the components of the show (Theon storyline, Bran Stark storyline) just add nothing and must be replaced. At least lead with a great storyline and always, ALWAYS end with Daenerys doing something and leave viewers wanting more.
Q: What are some suggested improvements for the National Spelling Bee?
A: Coming up May 26-May 28, like clockwork, the bee comes after Memorial Day every year. The early favorite? Arvind Mahankali fulfills his half-decade long quest to become spelling bee champ. See my suggested improvements from last year’s May blog.
Q: How have you adjusted to recently getting an Iphone?
Currently on an Iphone binge……..just changed from Blackberry to Iphone 3 weeks (I know, where have I been?) and I haven’t been able to put down my Iphone since.  
Q: What is “Three Kingdoms?”
Three Kingdoms is the Chinese Game of Thrones……with many more battle scenes. See it on Youtube. It’s got English subtitles. I dare you not to pull a 10-hour marathon watching that show, especially if you’re Chinese. It gives great insight into ancient Chinese culture, battle strategies (including some references to “Art of War” by Sun Tze, Chinese language, Chinese traditional garb, and morals and honor. Gives some perspective on life as to what has changed.
Q: How is it being 26?
After turning 26, I (probably a bad idea) read some articles about “what to do before you turn 30.” Other than the getting-depressing articles about dating and marriage and whatnot, there’s still a bunch of stuff on there I’d like to do. I have about a 2 or 3-year window at this age where I have a lot of free reign to shape my own life, my career, and strike a balance. I will say that a baseball stadiums trip and living in another country were the most appealing items in that article that I read.
I also began to have big dreams, like doing something significant. It’s difficult in these times with more than 9 billion people, but I think I have the skills to be a power player somewhere. I am smart enough, I am social enough, I adapt well to new situations. Time to get serious, Bobby, towards making an impact in the world and not just playing out the string. The next 10 years will be crucial in defining what I will be for the rest of my life; better get busy carving that out.

Q: How’s your career going?
A: Answering this in a roundabout way, I recently found out a friend who was working at a big law firm job had quit his (assuredly high-paying) position after just a year and a half as an associate. Makes me wonder about my own career and how much money plays a factor, aka how much I can be bought for. The law is certainly a lucrative career financially, but it’s not a lucrative career in terms of warming one’s heart, or fulfilling one’s wish to be significant (well it does for some people). Especially in these modern times when people bounce from one job to another and one career to another, even, regularly, it certainly merits consideration as to which path to go forward with. I say this as an independent contractor whose project can end at any time, don’t know if I would have the same perspective if I were now a “company man.”
Q: What do you think of the current fantasy baseball season?
A: the Angels stink, both my teams are doing poorly, it’s not great. But if I know the baseball season, it’s that it is very long, and one quarter of a season can look completely different than another quarter of the season. Heroes become zeroes, laggards become legends. (That means you, Miguel Montero!) There have been bitter disappointments (matt Kemp), great surprises (geez, Jean Segura), messy bullpen situations (Boston Red Sox, anyone?) but as with every baseball (and fantasy baseball season), expect the unexpected. Jurickson Profar, Baseball’s No. 1 Prospect, comes to Texas on Monday, a perfect exemplar of the potency of teams and players. He can become the next Mike Trout and be the No.1 fantasy player in all the land (especially at a scarce position) or be sent down to Triple A in a week. Wait for it…….That’s baseball!

Fantasize on, 

Robert Yan  

No comments: